rfc/headsup: graphics driver packaging in F16+

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 17:05:36 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 5:34 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-04-12 at 12:12 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
>
>> And input is even briefer (evdev, synaptics, wacom, vmmouse).  I'd like
>> to chop the -drivers metapackage down to just this set, and either make
>> a new metapackage in optional for -drivers-retrocomputing or simply list
>> all the drivers there individually.  Note that since we're keeping
>> drivers for fbdev and vesa we should still get graphics on most devices
>> even if the user doesn't explicitly ask for a native driver.
>>
>> So that's the rough plan.  Comments appreciated if I'm overlooking
>> anything.
>
> Well, the less intrusive alternative is just to make graphics drivers a
> comps group rather than using a metapackage. Metapackages are generally
> 'frowned upon' in Fedora anyway, and you're supposed to do stuff with
> comps groups. Doing it that way would remove the critical path
> implications; we could then just add the important drivers to critpath
> individually.

And have the most used drivers that are listed above set as "default"
and the retro ones set as optional. That way they're not there by
default but they're selectable at install for the couple of people
that do wish to use them (provided they do have enough RAM on those
machines to actually be able to install..... but that's a different
problem entirely!).

Peter