rfc/headsup: graphics driver packaging in F16+

Nathaniel McCallum nathaniel at natemccallum.com
Tue Apr 12 18:20:29 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-04-12 at 19:06 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 01:48:19PM -0400, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
>
> > With this approach, you have lost a critical feature: the ability for
> > you to change your hardware (or move the software bits to a different
> > computer) and have everything automatically work.
>
> You change the card, the system comes up in VESA, Packagekit (or
> whatever) notices new hardware and installs the drivers. Seems pretty
> automatic?

I should say that about 2.5 years ago I wrote a patch for xorg to print
out an inventory of the hardware a given driver supported.
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/commit/?id=8e368cf5b964f1d29fda0a463f9510457619b14d

The patch was subsequently removed by an overzealous committer who
thought it would be fun to remove useful functionality he thought xorg
didn't need anymore (name concealed to protect the guilty).

That patch above, or a similar version, could be used to automatically
generate the PK list from the binary at rpm build time, as well as be
useful in a variety of other cases.

Nathaniel