rfc/headsup: graphics driver packaging in F16+

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Apr 13 17:54:43 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-04-12 at 13:38 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-04-12 at 12:23 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Adam Jackson (ajax at redhat.com) said:
> > > So that's the rough plan.  Comments appreciated if I'm overlooking
> > > anything.
> >
> > The question would be how we ensure that these additional drivers are in the
> > install image, or in the installed system, if necessary. Or do we not care
> > if they get vesa?  How would users be informed/able to install drivers if
> > necessary? (I don't know that PK search is good here.)
>
> To a first approximation, I deeply do not care.  If you're choosing to
> use an s3virge in 2011 you've already decided to make your life hard.
>
> But if we're trying to be completionists about it, import the data
> from /usr/share/hwdata/videoaliases/*.xinf into virtual Provides for
> each driver package and teach packagekit or whatever how to cope.
> Something like this:
>
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2010-April/135004.html

I've been trying to get someone to write something like this (I called
it 'HardwareKit' back when kits were cool...) for absolutely ages, but
I'm worried it might wind up derailing this thread, which is about a
much more modest change. Perhaps we should branch the thread...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey