Systemd unit file implementation questions (ypbind)

Michal Schmidt mschmidt at redhat.com
Thu Apr 14 11:26:02 UTC 2011

On 04/14/2011 11:14 AM, Michal Hlavinka wrote:
> d) split it to more service files and make dependency there
>
> this would be incompatible change in configuration and hard to do,

Hard maybe, but solvable. Incompatibility happens from time to time.
That's what release notes are for.
I can imagine a %triggerun script looking at the old configuration file
and then enabling the new services as required.

> because dependency can change with configuration

Can you elaborate on this?

What kind of dependencies exist between the three services? Are they 3
separate daemons? How exactly do they communicate with each other? Can
they be patched to use socket activation? Because then you could simply
stop thinking about expressing the dependencies manually.

Also note that there are two distinct kinds of dependencies:
requirements and ordering. I don't think ordering dependencies change
depending on the configuration, or do they?

Michal