Systemd unit file implementation questions (ypbind)

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Apr 14 18:05:54 UTC 2011

Once upon a time, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> said:
> The place for system configuration is /etc. I have yet to see a really
> convincing example why /etc/sysconfig/ or /etc/default would win us
> anything.

/etc/sysconfig is essentially configuration for the init system managing
daemons.  Command-line options, which sub-bits to run, etc. that are not
settable in the daemon configuration files themselves.

I think having them in a sub-directory is much cleaner (and makes them
easier to distinguish from the "regular" daemon config files).  I don't
think /etc/default is a good name (if that indeed is what Debian uses),
because they are options you change to get non-default behavior.

> I am pretty sure that the vast majority of files in there are
> pretty much unnecessary and their configuration could be solved in a
> different way much nicer.

I've used a bunch of them to change the ways various daemons run, so I
would definately say they are not "pretty much unnecessary".  They are
also shell scripts that are sourced by init scripts, so there is
flexibility to make changes that may not have even been anticipated by
the init script authors.

Since they are config files (unlike the init scripts themselves),
changing them doesn't leave you with RPM wanting to replace them on
every package update either.

> So yeah, I'd push for phasing /etc/sysconfig out for most services, not
> standardize it.

I'd be 180 degrees from that.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>