wireless-tools/net-tools are DEPRECATED

Ben Boeckel mathstuf at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 16:35:37 UTC 2011

Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> Once upon a time, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> said:
>> Newsflash: the network service is DEPRECATED!!! That's what NetworkManager
>> is for.
>
> Newsflash: NM doesn't replace the network service yet.  Maybe when NM
> can do everything ifup/ifdown can do, the discussion about deprecation
> can happen, but until then, please stop saying NM replaces the network
> service.

One thing I liked a lot with my ifconfig scripts/wpa_supplicant pairing
is that when wireless is spotty, the network doesn't keep going up and
down. Instead, applications see lots of dropped packets. When
reauthentication can take 5 to 10s (or more), assuming that the
connection is steady when its just spotty can result in better behavior.
Also nice when quickly swapping ethernet cables. A "network is gone"
event gets different reactions from applications (particularly those
that are NM-aware which makes those applications MUCH more annoying to
deal with in these cases) than "some packets were lost". An option to
"persist connections despite something probably not actually existing"
would be nice for situations like this.

--Ben