Announcing the release of Fedora 15 Beta!!

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 07:12:25 UTC 2011

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 15:33:23 -0400, BN wrote:

> > > We consider broken deps within the set of packages included in the
> > > released images to block the release, but there are none of those in
> > > Beta. Broken deps outside the package set that gets on images aren't
> > > really as important.
> >
> > Sure, but it would be wise to come up with a deadline and remove the
> > broken packages from the Everything repo _prior_ to the release of F-15.
> > If they can't be installed, let's not ship them. Once fixed, they could
> > return as updates.
>
> This has never been done in the past ; we'd need a new process for
> this.

You've used one before when pruning the orphans *and* their dependencies.
You've created and announced a list of what packages would be removed and
when the deadline would be.

What would be important now is a sign-of-life from the package
maintainers, since some pkgs are on the list for a long time. Arbitrary
provenpackagers spending time on rebuilding semi-orphaned packages
(or even incorrectly retired packages) isn't helpful. Especially not if
later on the packagers decide to retire packages nevertheless. Such as
(but not limited to) the various GNOME applets. Then there would be no
Updates to fix uninstallable packages available
in the Fedora "Everything" repo.