Announcing the release of Fedora 15 Beta!!

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Apr 26 13:36:27 UTC 2011

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 15:26:40 +0200
Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:

> Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > Arbitrary provenpackagers spending time on rebuilding semi-orphaned
> > packages (or even incorrectly retired packages) isn't helpful.
>
> Actually, IMHO it is. We should work together as a community and get
> rid of this idea that packages are owned by one person (or a short
> list of people) and nobody else is responsible for them. If something
> is broken in Fedora, we should work together to fix it. Rebuilds to
> fix broken dependencies (possibly with patches to fix FTBFS issues)
> are an easy way to help making Fedora as a whole better.

How do you (as provenpackager) know whats broken? Do you look over bug
reports for packages you fix? Do you talk with upstream and check for
bugs there or new releases? Do you use the package day to day and fix
or report issues you run into?

Or do you just fix it so it builds and works for you?

If you do do those things, why not become a maintainer of the package
in Fedora? If you don't, can you see why this is not a substitute for
someone more involved in the package?

kevin