F14, can't logout from X environment - Bug 665540

Ben Boeckel mathstuf at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 23:17:20 UTC 2011

Marco <jjletho67-arodef at yahoo.it> wrote:

>>> Hi, thank you for your suggestion but in my case, when the problem
>>> occours, keyboard and mouse are unresponsive
>>
>>Right. Same here. I should have mentioned that the ^C sent to startx is
>>the "logout" action here :) .
>
> Sorry Ben, now it's clear, thank you :-) and I will do some tests and
> I'll let you know the result. However i think that by this way you
> have never correctly closed X environment. Do you suffer any
> collateral effects ?

The only things running that care about X when I do this are:

  - urxvt256cd
  - xmobar
  - xmonad

None of them hold important files open (at least for writing), so it's
cleaner than a reboot would be in this case. The serverauth is left
laying around, but reusing that is hitting the PID jackpot AFAIK.

--Ben