ipv6 tools + ipv4 tools fusion.

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Apr 28 12:54:19 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-04-27 at 23:57 -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2011, Chuck Anderson wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 02:59:09AM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
> >> because the same hostname can have A and AAA records
> >> and the people commonly use ping (sysadmins) must be
> >> able to decide what they will test?
> >
> > Use -4 -or -6 parameters if you care to force one vs. the other.
>
> +1
>
> It's really annoying, because "ping" takes a long time to fail
> when you try it on an AAAA name.

Does it?

[dwmw2 at macbook ~]$ time ping casper.ipv6.infradead.org
ping: unknown host casper.ipv6.infradead.org

real	0m0.080s
user	0m0.001s
sys	0m0.004s

The Solaris 'ping' works the way that Itamar suggests, FWIW. I think
it's a sane plan. Everything should just obey RFC3484 (and perhaps have
-4 and -6 overrides if you really need them for specific tests).

David.Woodhouse at intel.com                              Intel Corporation