ipv6 tools + ipv4 tools fusion.

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Apr 28 14:10:49 UTC 2011

Am 28.04.2011 15:57, schrieb Wes Hardaker:

> RH> Am 28.04.2011 01:17, schrieb Itamar Reis Peixoto:
>>> why ipv6 and ipv4 have different name for the tools ?
> RH> because the same hostname can have A and AAA records
>
> That argument makes sense up until the point that you realize there are
> a fair number of hosts out there with multiple A records too, and ping
> has to randomly choose between them.

i realized this 10 years ago and it has nothig to do with the topic

> I'm all for a single unified set of commands (-4, -6).  The real
> question, is what should the default be?  And if 4 now, when do you
> switch later?  [thus, I think -both now with v6 first if a AAAA is
> available otherwise v4 is probably the right answer]

and that is why two commands are a good solution

you can not change after 30 years way a basic-command works
like changing default to IPv6 without producing a lot
of troubles out there, make now a unifified command
with IPv4 as default and change it later to IPv6 as
default has the same effect

so who will die if there is one rpm which provides both
commands instead breaking backward compatibility