ipv6 tools + ipv4 tools fusion.

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Apr 28 23:36:33 UTC 2011

Once upon a time, Wes Hardaker <wjhns174 at hardakers.net> said:
> I'm all for a single unified set of commands (-4, -6).  The real
> question, is what should the default be?  And if 4 now, when do you
> switch later?  [thus, I think -both now with v6 first if a AAAA is
> available otherwise v4 is probably the right answer]

The same host selection algorithm used in glibc (per the relevand RFCs)
should be used by all tools, unless a -4 or -6 override is given.  This
way you can "ping foo.bar.com" and turn around and "ssh foo.bar.com".
Right now, since ping and traceroute are different, you can get
confusing results (for example, in the face of some broken IPv6 setups).
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>