Announcing the release of Fedora 15 Beta!!

John Keller fedora at johnkeller.com
Fri Apr 29 07:14:14 UTC 2011

On 04/26/2011 06:44 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-04-22 at 07:55 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
>> I decided to reinstall using netinstall.iso.
>
> Just a general note here: during pre-release time netinstall is always
> more likely to have trouble than media install. We test installation of
> the pre-release media (Alpha, Beta) quite heavily. Network install, even
> with updates-testing disabled, will use whatever packages have made it
> to stable; making it to stable isn't contingent on anyone doing
> installation testing, so it's perfectly normal for issues to creep in
> (these are the ones we wind up shaking out around the TC stage when we
> get to a pre-release point). So just in general, you're more likely to
> hit problems doing a network install than a media install, at
> pre-release time.

Hi, Adam. This was why in another thread on the test list that I'd asked
about the possibility of making the images hybrid. That would allow them
to be "dd"'ed to a USB key instead of burning a DVD with each new
prerelease.

Right now the only options, to my knowledge, are to use the netinst
(hybrid image) or use some special tool/process to convert the DVD ISO
into a bootable USB key. The former can be flaky (as you mention) and
the latter is cumbersome (and has the drawback of essentially testing
something different than the actual DVD image).

Would hybrid DVD ISOs be feasible going forward?

- John