incompatible KDE library errors

Phillip Lynn plynn54 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 29 19:02:20 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-04-29 at 09:20 -0400, Phillip Lynn wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-04-29 at 07:33 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> > Phillip Lynn wrote:
> >
> > > All,
> > >
> > >   After updating my system two days ago I have been having errors when
> > > running vlc, system settings to name a couple.  Below is some of what I
> > > am seeing in my .xsession-errors file.  I am not sure where to continue
> > > looking to try and correct these errors.  I have tried gnome and xcfe
> > > desktop environments, and they are working with out errors.  It is only
> > > when I am using KDE.
> >
> > I'd suggest :
> >
> > 1. post the output of:
> > rpm -q qt kdelibs kdebase kdebase-runtime
> >
> > 2. try running:
> > kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental
> >
> > 3.  is this reproducible by > 1 user on this same box?
> >
> > -- Rex
> >

> 1.
>
> [plynn55 at plynn55 ~]$ rpm -q qt kdelibs kdebase kdebase-runtime
> qt-4.7.2-8.fc14.x86_64
> qt-4.7.2-8.fc14.i686
> kdelibs-4.6.2-1.fc14.x86_64
> kdebase-4.6.2-1.fc14.x86_64
> kdebase-runtime-4.6.2-1.fc14.x86_64
>
> After running the rpm I did a yum remove qt-4.7.2-8.fc14.i686. Still had
> the same issues.
>
> 2.
>
> kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental
>
> [plynn55 at plynn55 ~]$ kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental
> kbuildsycoca4 running...
> kbuildsycoca4(9611) VFolderMenu::loadDoc: Parse error in
> "/home/plynn55/.config/menus/applications-merged/xdg-desktop-menu-dummy.menu" , line  1 , col  1 :  "unexpected end of file"
> kbuildsycoca4(9611) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry
> Categories in "AmnesiaTheDarkDescentDemo.desktop" is not compliant with
> XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon).
> kbuildsycoca4(9611) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry
> Categories in "AmnesiaTheDarkDescentDemoManual.desktop" is not compliant
> with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon).
> kbuildsycoca4(9611) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry
> Categories in "Google-googleearth.desktop" is not compliant with XDG
> standard (missing trailing semicolon).
> kbuildsycoca4(9611) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry MimeType
> in "Google-googleearth.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard
> (missing trailing semicolon).
> kbuildsycoca4(9611) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry MimeType
> in ".hidden/kmdr-executor.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard
> (missing trailing semicolon).
> kbuildsycoca4(9611)/kdecore (services) KServicePrivate::init: The
> desktop entry file "/usr/share/applications/kde/khtml_filter.desktop"
> has Type= "Application" but also has a X-KDE-Library key. This works for
> now, but makes user-preference handling difficult, so support for this
> might be removed at some point. Consider splitting it into two desktop
> files.
> kbuildsycoca4(9611)/kdecore (services) KServicePrivate::init: The
> [...]

All,

  My system is back and running. I found I had several old kde rpms on
my system.  I ran "rpm -qa | grep kde | grep i686", then removed the old
KDE rpms. Still having problems, removed KDE, reinstalled KDE several
times was using yumex,  and the group KDE keep giving me an incorrect
install. I used "sudo yum groupinstall KDE" , then system installed
correctly.

  Rebooted, still had a problem  KDE was really slow, unusable! Found a
post online about kde4.6 being slow, same problem I was having.  first
they said to kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental which I had done earlier this
morning.  So I did the second thing which was to run
"rm -rf /var/tmp/kdecache-'usrname'".  After this I rebooted my system
and all appears to be working...  Thanks to those who replied with
suggestions.

Thanks,

Phillip Lynn