libevent-1.4.13 compatbility

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Sat Apr 30 13:06:55 UTC 2011

Hi,

I am trying to package forked-daapd and it depends on libevent 1.4.13.
When asking forked-daapd's maintainer about the compatibility with
libevent2, I've got this into reply:

	libevent2 is not and will not be supported; you need to use
	libevent 1.4.x.

Which I guess means either I'd have to package libevent1 for Fedora
(which seems to be PITA ... files have same names etc.), or patch
forked-daapd to use libevent2 and maintain the patch.

What's so horrible about libevent2 that the upstream author won't
support it? Is it that difficult to make and maintain the patch for
libevent2 compatiblity?

Non-building experiemntal draft of the package is at
http://mcepl.fedorapeople.org/tmp/forked-daapd-0.14-0.fc15.src.rpm (you
need also avl package from -testing to build it).

Any ideas?

Best,

Matěj