Java 7 for Fedora 16

Marcela Mašláňová mmaslano at redhat.com
Mon Aug 1 10:28:14 UTC 2011

On 07/29/2011 04:55 PM, Deepak Bhole wrote:
> * Omair Majid <omajid at redhat.com> [2011-07-29 10:32]:
>> On 07/25/2011 04:04 PM, Deepak Bhole wrote:
>>> * Bill Nottingham<notting at redhat.com>  [2011-07-25 15:54]:

>>> This hasn't been debated yet, but I am very much in favour of having
>>> only 7 in Fedora 16.
>>>
>>> If the reason for asking was w.r.t re-builds, it is unlikely that most
>>> applications will need a rebuild -- only those using deprecated APIs
>>> (which would have been deprecated for years now) and private APIs would
>>> be affected. That would likely be a small subset.
>>
>> Have you seen the list of incompatibilities?
>>
>> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/compatibility-417013.html
>>

> Thanks. I hadn't seen the full list, but I knew it'd fairly small
> given how much importance compatibility has been given in the past and
> for 7.
>
> Unfortunately it is not possible to gauge how much Fedora will be
> affected by that :/ My biggest concern would be for apps using sun.*
> APIs. As mentioned above though, it should be a small percentage.
>
> Cheers,
> Deepak

I found different warning about Java 7 changes:
http://www.lucidimagination.com/search/document/1a0d3986e48a9348/warning_index_corruption_and_crashes_in_apache_lucene_core_apache_solr_with_java_7

Does it impact also our Java? Anyway you will need exception if you want
Java 7 as a feature for F-16.
--
Marcela Mašláňová
BaseOS team Brno