Java 7 for Fedora 16

Dr Andrew John Hughes ahughes at redhat.com
Mon Aug 1 13:50:09 UTC 2011

On 10:55 Fri 29 Jul     , Deepak Bhole wrote:
> * Omair Majid <omajid at redhat.com> [2011-07-29 10:32]:
> > On 07/25/2011 04:04 PM, Deepak Bhole wrote:
> > >* Bill Nottingham<notting at redhat.com>  [2011-07-25 15:54]:

> > >This hasn't been debated yet, but I am very much in favour of having
> > >only 7 in Fedora 16.
> > >
> > >If the reason for asking was w.r.t re-builds, it is unlikely that most
> > >applications will need a rebuild -- only those using deprecated APIs
> > >(which would have been deprecated for years now) and private APIs would
> > >be affected. That would likely be a small subset.
> >
> > Have you seen the list of incompatibilities?
> >
> > http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/compatibility-417013.html
> >

> Thanks. I hadn't seen the full list, but I knew it'd fairly small
> given how much importance compatibility has been given in the past and
> for 7.
>
> Unfortunately it is not possible to gauge how much Fedora will be
> affected by that :/ My biggest concern would be for apps using sun.*
> APIs. As mentioned above though, it should be a small percentage.

The old com.sun jpeg libraries would be the obvious ones to spring to mind.

Whatever list Oracle has come up with doesn't really compare to real-world
use and testing.

I think we should offer both in F16.

> Cheers,
> Deepak
> --

Andrew :)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Support Free Java!
Contribute to GNU Classpath and IcedTea
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://icedtea.classpath.org
PGP Key: F5862A37 (https://keys.indymedia.org/)
Fingerprint = EA30 D855 D50F 90CD F54D  0698 0713 C3ED F586 2A37