PokerTH orphaned

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Tue Aug 2 13:18:57 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 07:51 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> HdG> Hi,HHdG> Tomas has chosen to fix this problem by simply disabling the
> HdG> openssl compat part of gnutls (which as the above bug shows is
> HdG> broken by design) given that only 3 apps use this, this seems like
> HdG> a sane choice to me.
>
> Except, of course, it appears that someone completely forgot to contact
> the people who maintain those applications.  That's not how it's
> supposed to work.  Given that it's only three applications, that should
> have been pretty easy.  The point is that it's not OK to think "we're
> only screwing three maintainers; it's OK to do this without actually
> talking to them."
>
> My upstream (zoneminder) explicitly removed openssl support because of
> the licensing issues.  It can still be made to work, but of course that
> violates their license and I can't imagine that at this point they're
> going to just change their license to allow us to ship the software.  Of
> course I'll try, but in the meantime I certainly can't actually build
> the software in Fedora.

The problem is I tried repoquery against the rawhide repository before
the disabling and either the repository was somehow broken or I made
some mistake because the repoquery returned empty results. That's why I
thought that there is no package depending on the libgnutls-openssl
anymore and so I dropped it. But I really do not plan to add it back
because upstream does not care about it and it seems to be left in the
experimental state forever. I do not think any other software should
depend on it for the SSL support. Either rewrite the SSL support to use
the native GNUTLS API, or use the NSS OpenSSL compatibility layer which
is written in such way that it does not conflict with the native OpenSSL
libraries.

--
Tomas Mraz
                                              Turkish proverb