Heads-up: ipython-0.11 breaking anything :)

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 19:29:19 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Thomas Spura
<tomspur at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I just build ipython-0.11 in rawhide, which changed pretty much
> anything internally, so *ALL* dependant packages will be possible
> broken.
>
> repoquery just reports 2 packages, but it should be more...:
> python-networkx
> python-polybori

I comaintain these two.  I think python-networkx should not depend on
ipython.  One example mentions in a comment that it should be run with
ipython, but there is no direct dependency.  As for python-polybori,
the command-line tool ipbori invokes ipython, but by running it in a
subshell, not via the library interface.  So as long as the command
line options haven't changed, python-polybori should be okay, too.

Unfortunately, I can't test it.  I waited for today's Rawhide update
so I could get the new version of ipython.  About 2 seconds after the
yum transaction finished, X suddenly quit.  I rebooted (since there
was a new kernel and a new systemd, after all), but now I can't login.
 Logging in from GDM results in the screen clearing for a fraction of
a second, and then GDM starts back up.  Likewise, Ctrl-Alt-F2 gives me
a TTY.  If I attempt to login, the screen clears momentarily, and then
the TTY login prompt reappears.  Plus, GDM keeps restarting every few
seconds, which makes working on a TTY problematic anyway.  Something
is really broken.  As soon as the brokenness gets cleared up, I'll
test python-polybori to see if it is okay with the new ipython.
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/