RPM version goes backward in Rawhide

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Aug 5 05:20:26 UTC 2011

> > 4. Updates-testing being enabled by default means that people installing an
> > Alpha or Beta immediately get fed tons of 0-day (actually negative-day)
> > updates, because the Alpha or Beta does not include those testing updates by
> > design. It makes it look quite pointless to work on stabilizing the Beta
> > when people who installed the Alpha and ran "yum update" are already using
> > newer packages than those the Beta will ship before the Beta is even being
> > prepared.
>
> It's not at all pointless, because the point of the Alpha / Beta images
> is to provide a known-good base. If the Alpha / Beta are broken, you're
> pretty screwed. If an update is broken, just re-install from the
> known-good base and skip the update.

Oh, and this wouldn't be any different if we changed the policy anyway,
because we'd still need to freeze to have any chance of building a
usable Alpha or Beta release. So either no-one would get to do any work
during the freeze unless it fixed a blocker/NTH issue, or we'd build the
Alpha / Beta from the 'release' repo and not include packages in the
'update' repo, which would lead to exactly the same thing: after
installing Alpha you'd have a ton of 0-day packages in updates which
wouldn't have been tested as part of Alpha validation.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey