New hardened build support (coming) in F16

Jon Ciesla limb at jcomserv.net
Tue Aug 9 13:24:53 UTC 2011

Steve Grubb wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 09, 2011 07:51:07 AM Matthew Garrett wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 11:16:12PM -0400, Steve Grubb wrote:
>>
>>> This list is woefully incomplete. I would advocate a much larger list.
>>> For example, sudo is a very important program that we make security
>>> claims about. It is not on that list.
>>>
>> Because it's SUID.
>>

> ?  Its one in the target group.
>

>>> I think there should have been some discussion about this on the FESCO
>>> request I submitted. I have some concerns about what was implemented.
>>> Are there bz filed for this or more discussion about it somewhere?
>>>
>> We spent weeks discussing this. Where were you during the meetings?
>>

> Taking RHEL6 through common criteria and FIPS-140, filing dozens of security
> bugs after studying some problems and sending patches. I am monitoring the
> FESCO ticket, but I don't monitor fedora-devel all the time because there are
> way too many arguments for my taste. Regardless, should there not have been
> some hint about anything on the ticket? I responded to any review request for
> the wiki page and such.
>
> My main concern is that the macro will be misapplied and overall performance
> will take a hit. I don't know how a macro can tell the intent of an
> application as it links it.
The macro can't, but the maintainer can.  The maintainer is presumably
capable of, and responsible for, assessing whether her package would be
a good candidate for this, and if so, testing builds done with the
macro.  Then if, performance is fine, on it goes.  If performance sucks,
it doesn't.

-J

--
in your fear, seek only peace