To Require or not to Require?

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Aug 15 20:20:47 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-08-13 at 09:19 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 12:08:50 -0400, SS (Simo) wrote:
>
> > If rpmbuild does not add an implicit requires with libraryX >= <version
> > we built against> then it is certainly broken.
>
> One could also argue that an activity like "yum install ..." ought to
> search for and apply the latest available updates of needed packages. Such
> behaviour has been rejected some years ago, if memory serves correctly.

It was rejected with good reason, I think. I do not think we should be
adding functionality into yum which:

1. violates the principle of least surprise for the admin
2. covers up for not-specific-enough requirements in the packaging.

It just feels like it would be fixing a "problem" at the wrong layer.

-sv