Default services enabled

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 14:00:57 UTC 2011

On 08/19/2011 12:35 PM, Steve Grubb wrote:
> On Friday, August 19, 2011 03:41:33 AM Tim Waugh wrote:
>> On Thu, 2011-08-18 at 16:52 -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
>>> It's not so much cups start up being slow as discovering network
>>> printers. That can take up to a minute I think.
>> This is true... however, discovered printers are cached so this is only
>> an issue the first time CUPS starts after installation (or after
>> connection to a new network).
> If CUPS is enabled by default, can this be done for runlevel 5 only? It should not be
> enabled by default for servers.

There are no such things as run levels in systemd but yeah desktop
related services should just be enabled when booting into the graphical
target.

>> Additionally there are plans afoot to use Avahi for CUPS<->  CUPS
>> printer discovery, replacing the current "send a broadcast packet every
>> 30s" protocol.  This would eliminate the problem entirely.
> All security guidance says turn off or get rid of avahi. We really don't want to
> require it just to print.
>
> -Steve

Arguably sshd and nfs should be disabled by default as well and  [1]
mentioned avahi is enabled by default as an specific exceptions FESCO
should update that wiki page with the arguments on why these services
are granted exceptions of being enabled by default.

Personally I'm of the opinion that non essential services should not be
enabled by default.

JBG

1. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Starting_services_by_default