Default services enabled

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Fri Aug 19 15:57:38 UTC 2011

On Fri, 19.08.11 17:12, Tomasz Torcz (tomek at pipebreaker.pl) wrote:

> > > Just a thought - would it make sense to create a "server-target" (and/or
> > > "desktop-target") that is independent of graphical-target?
> >
> > I would hope there are pre-canned targets for different crowds. I also hope there is a
> > secure default configuration for each of them. I also hope there is a way to list all
>
> There was some talk about ”preset” - what should be enabled in various
> scenarios (spins).

This is actually already available in the systemd version in F16, but not used
by Fedora. I plan to make this a feature for F17.

Presets allow the distributor (or administrator) to easily define
policies on which services should be enabled or disabled by default. By
dropping a .conf file with the contents of "disable *" into
/etc/systemd/system.preset the admin can make sure that all services
installed from that point on will be disabled by default. Presets can be
a lot more complex if needed, and I expect that Fedora will ship a
default preset policy that enables the few services which may start by
default, and leaves everything else off.

That said, the code is in systemd in F16 this is not useful yet, since
the %postin scripts of our packages currently invoke "systemctl enable"
instead of "systemctl preset". (The former unconditionally enables, the
latter consults the preset files first) To make these presets work we'll have
to update the packaging guidelines a bit. (Oh, and while doing this we
will introduce rpm macros for enabling services, which can be shared
across distributions.)

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.