Default services enabled

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Aug 20 12:23:54 UTC 2011

Am 20.08.2011 14:09, schrieb Lars Seipel:
> On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 00:13 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> if you can give a warning you can also stop the socket
>> this is what the user expects and if your software-design
>> is not able to act logically it is broken
> Stopping the service but leaving the possibility for later socket
> activation is a valid use case. Warning about that because it also could
> be a mistake is a nice service and sufficient.

it is NOT a valid usecase because the service is restarted a moment later

>> "service restart htt"
>>
>> you can type TAb the whole day and will get no auto-completion
> Of course not. This is wrong syntax.
>
> systemctl restart htt<tab>
>
> should do what you're trying to accomplish. If you insist on using the
> "service" wrapper script, the appropriate syntax would be:
>
> service htt<tab> restart
>
> It does fine in both cases.

this was a typo and IT DOES NOT
and if you look on the systemd-mailing list you will find a patch for this
but damned why does F15 get no updates for systemd over months?

this is reasonable for software which is stable and bugfree, but systemd is
not and targeting bugfixes/optimizing for F16/F17 is unacceptable

it does if the service is NOT running which is useless for "restart"

[root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ systemctl restart htt^C
[root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ systemctl stop httpd.service
[root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ systemctl restart httpd.service

>> yes it is a improvent to get htis after the boot but if you restart a server
>> you nromally watch the boot and have no reason to login as long you see
>> nothing red - this was broken by the usability-pifall how systemd boots
> I'm pretty certain that failures are colored red. Are you sure you got
> your facts right?
>
> Lars

they are NOT
i am sure because my self-written "pulsed.service" will fail the first 10 times

compare a F14 boot WITHOUT quiet and a F15 boot and after that
you will not tell me that the whole output is not degraded since
systemd started take over the world

[root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /lib/systemd/system/pulsed.service
[Unit]
Description=Pulseaudio Daemon
After=syslog.target local-fs.target rtkit-daemon.service udev.service dbus.service prefdm.service
[Service]
Type=forking
ExecStart=-/usr/bin/pulseaudio --daemonize=true --system=true --log-level=0 --log-target=stderr
--disallow-module-loading --disallow-exit --exit-idle-time=0 --disable-shm --no-cpu-limit=false --use-pid-file=false
Restart=always
RestartSec=30
TimeoutSec=15
Nice=-10
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

another thing where lennart is responsible that he believes to know
what is good for users and will not probide a systemwide pulsed, where
here he could show that systemd brings any benefit to the users by
packaging "pulseaudio-systemwide.rpm" and fix both (systemd and pulseaudio)
as long they are not working perfectly together as system-instance

again: there are users running music from their machine the whole day
without login or even with login as another user, but this usecase
does not bother Lennart