Anaconda memory requirements

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Sat Aug 20 22:02:08 UTC 2011

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 11:31:55 -0700
John Reiser <jreiser at bitwagon.com> wrote:

> >  How much  memory will anaconda require to install Fedora 16?
>
> Anaconda requires 768MB, and more (>=1GB) if there is no swap partition.

It is not just Anaconda. F15 GA kernel would not even uncompress
initramfs on anything below 1GB.

On VM hosts, I modify the VMs with virsh to have 1GB, then scale them
down after installation.

This is getting difficult to manage, I have to say. My almost brand
new Red Hat corporate T400 only has 2GB, and I have a stack of almost
good enough boxes. In the past we always felt free to push obsolete
hardware over to BSD. Remember NPTL? CMOV? But now I have a feeling
that we may be outstripping the speed of improvement in common hardware.
Or maybe I need a better computer.

I'm wondering what everyone's feeling is about it. I saw a tweet (by
Mairin, I think) "the 12GB is a life-changing experience". Well, if
that's our new standard platform, then sure, no sense to optimize
for 1GB.

-- Pete