question regarding Fedora packaging

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Mon Aug 22 15:18:25 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Denis Arnaud's message of Sun Aug 21 15:05:59 +0200 2011:
> Hello Olivier,
>
> 2011/8/21 <devel-request at lists.fedoraproject.org>
>
> > I want to package an application that depends on jets3t. It is packaged in
> > Jpackage. I see in fact that many Java packages are available in JPackage.
> >
> > What is the usual behavior in this case ?
>

> As I understand from the following:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Java/FAQ#Fedora.27s_Java_environment_does_not_provide_the_functionality_I_require._Can_I_install_another.3F,
> JPackage is fine for Fedora.

That FAQ addresses just use of JPackage repos on Fedora, but doesn't
deal with packaging and mixing. While it *should* be compatible, we
don't do any testing and it's quite possible there will be problems.

I guarantee that if you take any spec file from JPackage, it will not
pass package review if we take current guidelines into
consideration. It will be a good start, but it will certainly need work.

> > Should I check with maintainer if package can be "moved" to Fedora ? (and
> > do it myself if he does not wish to do so)
>
> There are Fedora "core", EPEL, JPackage... it is not really clear for
> > newcomers to see several repository, and what are their relationships...
> >

> You can start here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Java#Java_Packaging
> And, as a reference: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Java

Link to JPackage guidelines has been dead for a long time and we
really do have differences so big, that first paragraph is inaccurate
to the point of being a lie.

*note to self: fix that damn text finally...

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>

PGP: 7B087241