Default services enabled

JB jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 16:03:33 UTC 2011

Steve Grubb <sgrubb <at> redhat.com> writes:

> You're not seeing the hundreds - no thousands of emails about systemd?
> You are not seeing that all the expected facilities of init are not covered?
> There is well founded rebellion here.

Yes, you are right. And the people (e-mails, posts) you refer to are too.

Your concerns and those of others point to a questionable (non-UNIX) systemd
design.
Once again I refer everybody to Denys Vlasenko's thread, where this is very
visible; go over it again and you will know why:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-June/152323.html

Sys init was, and should be (as it was expected to be in systemd):
- simple, limited-in-functions, stable, and thus secure in design
- no sys init *and* services manager roles (the last one should be done by
  another (child) process and inetd-like server)
- no networking exposure due to security concerns
- no pseudo-roles like handling user sessions, login's, etc
- etc

It is not by chance that people think about a Windows-like approach in concept
and design of systemd, and even Lennart admitted to it:
"I like to see it as a modular platform to build an OS from."
It comes thru, he wants systemd, with its implied "world domination" attitude,
to be a base for some OS-to-be; he even expects it to be some kind of
a standard every distro would adopt.

I can only say I hope not !
I would suggest that Fedora will be first to reject it as it is now.
Fedora is a BETA distro by choice, so it should be easy, prudent, and proper
to stop here and redesign systemd, with community, users and testers input.

A propos, I have here a few links to sources on UNIX philosophy.
I would suggest to everybody to not just read them (skip over them quickly),
but also think for a few minutes about each principle.
It helps clear up one's mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy

Eric Steven Raymond
The Art of Unix Programming
http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/taoup/
http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/taoup/html/

The Unix Philosophy
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2877

Enjoy it.
JB

Vivaldi - Da due venti il mar turbato - Angela Gheorghiu - 1987 (Very Rare!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&v=8_MtYYCuFjk