Need input for creating new icon

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Aug 22 22:22:53 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-08-18 at 13:04 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 10:21:17AM -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
> > Of course with this method SVG is not an option....
>
> If you _did_ have an SVG, then I can tell you that this is the only
> format you need.  GNOME and XFCE appear to be happy to generate all
> the required icons and sizes needed from a single SVG file.
>
> Inkscape is an excellent way to make SVGs.

The spec states:

"So, you're an application author, and want to install application icons
so that they work in the KDE and Gnome menus. Minimally you should
install a 48x48 icon in the hicolor theme. This means installing a PNG
file in $prefix/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps. Optionally you can
install icons in different sizes. For example, installing a svg icon in
$prefix/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps means most desktops will have
one icon that works for all sizes."

So a 48x48 PNG is considered a minimum requirement, everything beyond
that is an optional extra; just shipping an SVG would not technically be
within spec.

http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html
--
Adam Williamson