Default services enabled

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Tue Aug 23 14:07:24 UTC 2011

> Unlikely. CUPS is not that slow. I mean, if the dialog takes a second or
> so this would still be completely fine, but in real life CUPS starts
> much faster. On my machine it is very hard to see any difference at all
> if I run "lpq" on a shell when CUPS is started and when it is not. So, I
> don't think this should be any issue at all.

OK, but the important case is not when everything works well but rather
when there are issues, e.g. networking problems, and suddenly the UI
locks up because it's blocked by CUPS. The point being that we want
predictable and responsive UI, and ensuring it is simpler when it
doesn't have far-reaching plumbing dependencies.

I am not arguing  against the dynamic CUPS, just saying that it requires
careful thought and some tricky testing.