Default services enabled

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 14:29:48 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 01:12:31PM +0200, drago01 wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 6:45 PM, Tom Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:

> >> Uh, oh. I think CUPS is definitely something we should lazily socket
> >> activate instead of run it unconditionally.
> >>
> >> Spot, Bill, what's the reason for this wording in the guidelines? As
> >> CUPS is something we really should start only when needed, why do we
> >> have this wording in the guidelines? Can we relax this?
> >
> > I think FESCo needs to decide what its policies are wrt on-demand
>
> This is broken IMO ... there is nothing inherently wrong with on
> demand loading ... actually it is the opposite. (i.e should be done
> whenever possible).

On demand loading is great.  But the system administrator needs to have
control to be able to turn things on and off.  So we need Lennart to give us
information on how to do that.  Lennart also needs to give us information on
how to write .socket files.  With those in hand, guidelines would and fesco
would be able to ship with on-demand-loading that was off by default (does
nt load at all) but the system administrator would be able to enable the
service so that it would start to load on-demand rather than at boot.

-Toshio