Default services enabled

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Aug 23 14:57:12 UTC 2011

On Tue, 23.08.11 07:29, Toshio Kuratomi (a.badger at gmail.com) wrote:

> > > I think FESCo needs to decide what its policies are wrt on-demand
> >
> > This is broken IMO ... there is nothing inherently wrong with on
> > demand loading ... actually it is the opposite. (i.e should be done
> > whenever possible).
> >
> On demand loading is great.  But the system administrator needs to have
> control to be able to turn things on and off.  So we need Lennart to give us
> information on how to do that.

The same way as for services basically. [Install] sections are used for
all kinds of unit files, not just services.

> Lennart also needs to give us information on how to write .socket
> files.

This is probably more of an upstream issue. Writing unit files
downstream is probably not really needed, since socket activation needs
some kind of upstream support.

> With those in hand, guidelines would and fesco
> would be able to ship with on-demand-loading that was off by default (does
> nt load at all) but the system administrator would be able to enable the
> service so that it would start to load on-demand rather than at boot.

Hmm? Not sure I can parse your paragraph, but I think we really should
be loading seldom used services by default via socket/device activation,
not on boot. Examples for these services are SSH and CUPS.

I am pretty sure that 95% of everybody who has ssd or CUPS installed
will not use it more often than than 1/h, which is really seldom. Hence
I'd make these services socket activated by default (like MacOS does it
too), and for the 5% of machines which use it more often we make it easy
to spawn the daemons on boot. The default should be to make it nice for
95% of people. The 5% who want to run it unconditionally are probably
knowleadgable admins anyway.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.