Default services enabled

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Aug 23 15:44:06 UTC 2011

On Tue, 23.08.11 11:10, Simo Sorce (simo at redhat.com) wrote:

> > I am pretty sure that 95% of everybody who has ssd or CUPS installed
> > will not use it more often than than 1/h, which is really seldom. Hence
> > I'd make these services socket activated by default (like MacOS does it
> > too), and for the 5% of machines which use it more often we make it easy
> > to spawn the daemons on boot. The default should be to make it nice for
> > 95% of people. The 5% who want to run it unconditionally are probably
> > knowleadgable admins anyway.
>
> Any chance systemd upstream or Fedora at least will provide a
> chkconfig-like tool that can give you a very simple intuitive way to
> completely disable/enable/enable(forced on at boot)/etc... each service
> in the system ?

systemctl enable
systemctl disable
systemctl mask

> Systemd unit files are cool and all, but they are also much more
> difficult to keep track of for admins. With the previous system
> chkconfig --list gave you an immediate *concise* clear view of the
> system configuration wrt initialization. Something like that would
> really be welcome for systemd. Esp when a service has multiple files
> that need to be changed/unliked/linked at the same time. A tool like
> that would also show/point out if an action breaks dependencies with a
> verbose mode view or something.

systemctl enable/disable will do the right thing for you, if the unit
files use Also= (which correctly written units do). For example,
"systemctl disable avahi-daemon.service" will also disable
"avahi-daemon.socket, since it is listed in Also= in the [Install]
section of it.

On F16 you can use "systemctl list-unit-files" to get a list of all
installed unit files with their status, whether they are enabled,
disabled, statically enabled or otherwise.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.