Default services enabled

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Tue Aug 23 21:28:18 UTC 2011

Simo Sorce <simo at redhat.com> writes:
> ... If instead the socket is listening but not really accepting and
> processing requests, then yes, you can have a deadlock.

> So socket activation is not transparent by any means and needs to be
> handled very carefully in terms of circular dependencies as they may
> actually introduce deadlocks that weren't there before.

Yeah.  Another way in which socket activation is not transparent is that
code might try to determine whether the service is running by seeing
whether a connection attempt succeeds.  In such a case, having the
service autostart is absolutely *not* the desired outcome.  Both mysql
and postgresql suffer from this problem --- there's no other way for
"mysqladmin ping" to work, for example.  This issue is currently
preventing both of those databases from being packaged as
socket-activated services.  I could try to get the upstreams to think
about inventing non-connection-based protocols for testing database
server status, but I doubt that either one will be receptive.

			regards, tom lane