Default services enabled

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Tue Aug 23 21:35:55 UTC 2011

JB wrote:
> This does not help in this case. The attack's effect can happen at any time
> and catch systemd with its pants down at any time in the scenarios you
> described.
> The attack is on socket buffer availability via kernel, it lasts until no
> resource is available system-wide. At that point systemd or any other
> socket-based communication is brought to a standstill.
> The point is, systemd can not be stopped, or restarted/reinitialized/reset
> as any other stand-alone service daemon relying on sockets availability
> manually.
> The process #1, the GOD of all processes, is incapacitated, for good.

I searched for "attack" and "socket buffer availability" trying to find out what
kind of attack you're talking about. Duckduckgo had never heard about it.
Google gave me three hits, and all three were your previous message in this
list. It would help if you could explain how this attack works and how exactly
it would cause SystemD to lock up.

Is it perchance a syn flood you're talking about? If so, we have a good defense
since ages. It's known as syn cookies.

Björn Persson