Default services enabled

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Tue Aug 23 22:24:25 UTC 2011

Mathieu Bridon wrote:
> Well, socket activation gives you better speed and resource usage as
> already mentioned, but it also gives you:

[some really nifty features]

> So basically, much improved service availability (which is what matters
> to your business, isn't it?), and easier configuration/maintenance
> (granted, once you've learnt the new commands/tricks).
>
> Knowing that the security issue is highly exaggerated (as Lennart has
> repeatedly stated, systemd doesn't read network packets), does that seem
> like a better trade-off?

It might be an acceptable trade-off but I'm not yet convinced that such a
trade-off is necessary. Is it really impossible to have both a simple, network-
unaware Init and all the nifty features of SystemD?

Imagine a stripped-down Init that does only two things: First it forks and
executes SystemD, and then it just sits around and reaps orphan zombies.
SystemD would then run as process 2 and do all its socket activation and other
magic from there. Process 1 would then be immune to network-based attacks, and
it would be possible to kill SystemD if desired (although it would surely
leave the system rather handicapped).

The only thing I can think of that would be a problem is if SystemD needs to
be notified when processes die even when those processes aren't children of
SystemD. Is that the case? Is there anything else that only process 1 can do?

Björn Persson