Default services enabled

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Wed Aug 24 00:58:23 UTC 2011

Lennart, please don't shut off and stop listening just yet.

I realize that your rant was aimed at this whole thread rather than at my post
specifically, but I'd like to make it clear that I'm not one of those who "keep
trying to noisily shoot systemd down" as you put it. I see a lot of value in
SystemD. I wrote that is has some really nifty features and I meant it. I also
do feel the need to change the init system. I have written a few initscripts
and I'm definitely not satisfied with that way of doing things. Thank you so
much for writing SystemD!

I think SystemD is a really exciting improvement, but I also think Steve Grubb
may have a good point or two. There are some people on this list who are best
ignored in my opinion, but I think Steve Grubb may be worth listening to. He
seems to know what he's talking about when it comes to security. I hardly
think replacing SystemD with XinetD would be a good idea, but if you can find a
way of addressing his concerns without complicating things too much, it just
might be worth doing.

If you read my previous post again when you have calmed down a bit, I think
you'll see that I didn't complain but tried to suggest a way forward. I'll
admit that I know nothing about the internal design of SystemD and can't judge
what is feasible and what isn't. Moving most of the functionality to process 2
may or may not be a good idea, but it was meant as a constructive proposal – a
possible improvement that might help to make security-minded people like Steve
Grubb feel more comfortable about SystemD.

I also want to say that I'm impressed with how you usually manage to stay calm
and keep to the point despite all the abuse you seem to always get for
everything you do. I'm not sure I could do the same if I were in your
situation.

Björn Persson