Default services enabled

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Wed Aug 24 10:03:51 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 06:11:45PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Another way of saying this is: people are used to being able to check
> if a service is up without thereby changing its state.  Consider for
> example somebody who has a nagios alert set to check database server
> availability every few seconds.  If that probe results in

  Yes, but I think this kind of monitoring appeared because SysV initscript
is not reliable in determining service status. Even "status" command sometimes
checkes only existence of PID file, not the real status.
  In world with systemd, monitoring can just ask systemd if service is running.
Systemd will provide reliable answer, and if service is not running, will
provide information for how long it is stopped and what was the reason
for failure.

--
Tomasz Torcz                Only gods can safely risk perfection,
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl     it's a dangerous thing for a man.  -- Alia