Default services enabled -> there is no problem with mysqld

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Aug 23 22:09:21 UTC 2011

Am 23.08.2011 23:28, schrieb Tom Lane:
> Yeah.  Another way in which socket activation is not transparent is that
> code might try to determine whether the service is running by seeing
> whether a connection attempt succeeds.

well if you have enabled the service and a listening socket
it is the definition of RUNNING

> In such a case, having the service autostart is absolutely *not* the desired
> outcome.

why not? if you have it enabled you expect that it is there

> Both mysql and postgresql suffer from this problem

you see a problem where no problem is

> there's no other way for "mysqladmin ping" to work, for example

and where is the problem?

this is expected

do you not undertsand the fact that if i ENABLE mysqld i expect
that it is listening and if anything checks if mysql is available
it has to get YES at answer if mysqld is enabled from the begin of
the boot process

> This issue is currently preventing both of those databases from being packaged as
> socket-activated services.

nothing is preventing anything because you see a problem where
no problem exists and with your view you make problems on
machines where a lot of services are depending on mysql

i tried to explain this thousands of times and getting tired
of your non-understanding that mysqld has to accept connections
as soon as possible and if oyu do not want mysqld started
so do NOT enable mysqld

> I could try to get the upstreams to think
> about inventing non-connection-based protocols for testing database
> server status, but I doubt that either one will be receptive

they will reject you because you are the only person seeing
a problem and not because there is one