Default services enabled -> there is no problem with mysqld

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Wed Aug 24 14:45:38 UTC 2011

Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> writes:
> Am 23.08.2011 23:28, schrieb Tom Lane:
>> there's no other way for "mysqladmin ping" to work, for example

> and where is the problem?

I'm not planning on repeating myself either, but: a database
*monitoring* tool, as opposed to a vanilla client, needs to know whether
the database is in fact up.  Autostarting the DB in response to a
monitoring probe is the wrong behavior for that.

I do not really care whether you believe that that's a problem or not;
it is in my eyes, and as the responsible engineer, I'm not going to
produce a broken database package.

			regards, tom lane