Default services enabled

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Aug 24 17:02:40 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-08-24 at 09:06 -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:

> > If the service is enabled but the daemon not currently running, is it so
> > terrible for a connection test to cause the daemon to start? Remember,
> > in systemd logic 'service enabled with socket activation, daemon not
> > currently running' is effectively an 'on' state, not an 'off' state. If
> > you wanted the database to be 'off' you should have the service
> > disabled, and in that case, the ping test wouldn't cause the daemon to
> > start.
>
> It generally is a bad idea to automatically restart a database based on
> a random connection. There many reasons why you may have stopped the db
> (or it may have stopped itself) and requires inspection before
> attempting a new restart. Having to battle with socket activation while
> in a critical situation is not a good idea.

Sure, and I agree with you that socket activation may not be a great
idea for a constantly-used database. I should've made it clearer that I
was engaging with the generic argument - 'socket activation makes it
tough to check the state of services by pinging them' - not the specific
example - 'socket activation makes it tough to check the state of MySQL
by pinging it'. As far as I was concerned, MySQL was just an arbitrary
example chosen by the OP.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey