Default services enabled

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Aug 24 17:05:23 UTC 2011

> Simo Sorce <simo at redhat.com> writes:
>
> >> You'd have the same problem with any init system that supports automatic
> >> service restarting. You can easily disable the service via systemctl.
>
> > You can do that if you are doing a planned outage. But not for unplanned
> > ones.
>
> > I am not saying automatic restarts should never be employed, only that
> > not all software should be automatically restarted. I think databases
> > shouldn't in most cases. But that's just my opinion on the specific
> > case. That doesn't mean socket-activation shouldn't be employed in other
> > cases.
>
> FWIW, I do think that there may be use-cases for socket activation of a
> database.  I'd like to support the option ... the problem is to do so
> without breaking existing, expected behaviors.

It was noted up-thread that systemd can tell you whether the underlying
daemon is running or not, though I guess that doesn't tell you whether
it's entirely in a functional state. You could do a two-stage thing:
check with systemd whether the daemon is running, and ping it if so?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey