Default services enabled

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 17:44:29 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 9:31 AM, Jef Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 9:22 AM, Alexander Kurtakov <akurtako at redhat.com>wrote:
>
>> I want to add one more POV - not every database is constantly-used.
>> Example
>> usage is Amarok using mysql database and I really want mysql to not be
>> started
>> until I start Amarok.  Not that this is very common usage scenario but
>> still I
>> know at least one guy using Amarok with mysql :).
>>
>> You are using a system-wide network exposed mysql for Amarok?  Is this
> mysql serving information to multiple clients or multiple users? If its
> system-wide and only being used by one application by one user, why is it
> being run system-wide?

And to belabor the point a bit more. We really need to have distinct
discussions about what a system service "default" is and what its okay for
local admins are encourage/discourage/allowed to do.

If you need to run a private instance of mysql on non-standard network ports
to serve a local Amarok application in an on-demand fashion. Then you can do
that as a local admin. In fact working with the mysql packager you might be
able to use systemd's support for multiple instances to make it easier to
set that up without it interfering with the system default mysql.

However, does it make since to write the default init for the system-wide
mysql with this usage case in mind? I'm not sure.

It could very well be that for right now the system wide mysql default init
needs to refrain from socket activation as mysql is primarily aimed at a
server workload  and not an on-demand workload. Any service that primarily
services remote systems instead of local applications will probably want to
start up fully at boot and not on demand later.

I guess that's sort of the sane boundary for me with regard to socket
activiation. If a service wants to see the outside world via tcp
sockets...probably should not be on-demand by default.  If its unix socket
only..it can probably be a socket activated service.  There will be of
course things that break that simple rule..but as I guide I think it will
work as a starting point for service packagers.

-jef