gimp

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Aug 24 23:26:02 UTC 2011

Gerald Henriksen wrote:
> In addition to the warning that Gimp 2.7.* is considered unstable and
> not to be used in production (aka in a distribution),

That's why my point is that F16 should ship with 2.6 and get upgraded to 2.8
once it is stable.

> it comes with a warning that they are cleaning up the API's and thus 3rd
> party plugins and scripts can be broken.

That might be a problem though…

But then again those Firefox "security updates" are also breaking 3rd-party
extensions.

> It's not the Firefox maintainers, it is Mozilla who have decided that
> release numbers are irrelevant and that the bug fix release for
> Firefox 5 is Firefox 6.

If Firefox were following the update policy, they'd backport the security
fixes, not push the new versions.

And it's not just release NUMBERS which are "irrelevant" for upstream, it's
the whole concept of release cycles and stable branches. They'll just throw
together feature upgrades and security fixes the way they feel like. Now I
don't really have anything against this (see also the next paragraph), but
you have to understand that the change is definitely not only about numbers,
the numbering changed for a reason. The new versions really CAN contain new
major version material. (But they don't necessarily do, Mozilla is just
always incrementing the same integer no matter what they actually changed.)

Now, don't get me wrong, I think pushing the Firefox upgrades is actually a
GOOD thing, but I think this should be the general rule in Fedora and not an
exception for Firefox alone!

        Kevin Kofler