gimp

Nils Philippsen nils at redhat.com
Thu Aug 25 17:18:45 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 11:58 -0400, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 08/25/2011 10:28 AM, Nils Philippsen wrote:
>
> > As well, installing both stable versions side-by-side isn't an option as
> > you can't install them into the same prefix: the libraries have the same
> > SONAME, the new ones are expected to be ABI compatible. Therefore I
> > don't see a real alternative to rebasing to 2.8 in stable Fedora
> > releases when it finally is available, after thoroughly testing it of
> > course
>

>   I really wish developers would not do that - every app should be
> installable in <path>/app-name-version - and then we use something  like
> the alternates system (soft links) to get the version we want to run ...
> we should require this of every app in my view ...

Side-by-side means into the same prefix. You can only have one gimp
version installed into the /usr prefix, you're free to install a
different one into /opt/gimp-x.y or somewhere into your home if you're
an ordinary user.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase
Red Hat               a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty