NetworkManager, openswan and l2tp

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Aug 25 18:57:04 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 11:00 +0200, Eberhard Schruefer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to connect to a site via l2tp/openswan. I can set up openswan and
> xl2tpd
> manually and this works fine. However, bringing up the connection is not
> very
> comfortable and it would be much nicer to be able to use the
> networkmanager-openswan
> plugin.
> Unfortunately, l2tp and other 'advanced settings' cannot be selected from
> networkmanager-connection-editor. A quick look at the source code of
> NetworkManager-openswan-1.7.0 shows that these options are programmed,
> but seem not to be available in Fedora 15.

Which openswan sources are you looking at?

> Will these options eventually be set-able in Fedora?

It's probable they will be but it might take some work.  AFAIK there
isn't yet an L2TP VPN plugin for NM though I've heard of people working
on one.

> Would converting the glade file in NetworkManager-openswan-1.7.0 to
> gtkbuilder
> and a recompile of networkmanager-openswan suffice?

As part of the NM 0.9 push we moved the existing NM-openvpn plugin to
git.gnome.org and cleaned it up, including converting to GtkBuilder.
But that alone wouldn't magically make L2TP work unless the right
options were added to the UI.

Dan