GPT in Fedora 16

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Thu Aug 25 22:17:23 UTC 2011

While installing Fedora 16 Alpha, I ran into some problems that turned
out to be caused by the installer formatting with a GPT rather than an
MBR partition table.

I would like to understand the change and its implications, and I have
unsuccessfully tried to track down more information.  I haven't been
able to find anything in the Fedora 16 Alpha Release Notes or the Grub2
feature page.  The only definitive reference I've been able to find is
the comment "x86 uses GPT disklabels by default on all machines, even
non-EFI" on the Anaconda/Changes wiki page.

There seem to be some complications associated with the change.  For
example, Windows can only support GPT on UEFI machines, so dual-booting
appears to be unsupported (I could not find an option for MBR partition
tables in the installer).

Where should I look for more information?  Thanks.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/