NetworkManager, openswan and l2tp

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Fri Aug 26 20:48:01 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 11:50 -0400, Avesh Agarwal wrote:
> On 08/26/2011 05:09 AM, Eberhard Schruefer wrote:

> >> Which openswan sources are you looking at?
> > I'm referring to the networkmanager-openswan plugin source written by
> > Alexander Dorokhov
> > (hosted on xelerance). It seems that everything necessary to be set
> > through the UI is there and
> > also the code for bringing up xl2tpd. However, it looks like that
> > openswan itself has to be
> > compiled with HAVE_STATSD. It would be great if we could all have that
> > in FEDORA!
> HAVE_STATSD is disabled by openswan upstream by default. If the option
> is enabled upstream in a future release,it will be in Fedora too.
> >> It's probable they will be but it might take some work.  AFAIK there
> >> isn't yet an L2TP VPN plugin for NM though I've heard of people working
> >> on one.

> >> As part of the NM 0.9 push we moved the existing NM-openvpn plugin to
> >> git.gnome.org and cleaned it up, including converting to GtkBuilder.
> >> But that alone wouldn't magically make L2TP work unless the right
> >> options were added to the UI.
> > I think to vaguely remember that these options were available in very
> > early releases of the openswan
> > networkmanager plugin, but disappeared in later versions. What was
> > reason for that?
> The red hat implementation hosted at git.gnome.org never had L2TP
> options, and so these option were never in Fedora.

Would be cool if we could add it though...  TBH I'm not actually
familiar with how the layering works with L2TP, since I thought it was
more standalone like PPTP but just somehow better.  My lack of knowledge
about L2TP could fill a barrel, simply because I haven't had time to
investigate.  If others know more, by all means, help us out with
patches.

Dan