GPT in Fedora 16

Lars Seipel lars.seipel at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 27 02:04:30 UTC 2011

On Friday, August 26, 2011 04:58:22 PM Al Dunsmuir wrote:
> On systems where 32-bit is XP is running, one by definition is running
> with  a  disk  of 2 TB or less. Fedora installation must by default do
> the right thing. We need to agree on what that happens to be.

On systems with legacy operating systems installed Fedora does not touch the
partition table at all. On all other systems GPT is the way to go I'd say...

> On  a  related topic, why in heaven's name is Fedora not including the
> simple  grub  setup commands that are familiar to Ubuntu users? Making
> folks  remember  a long form instead of providing a few helper scripts
> seems short-sighted at best, and arrogant/NIH at worst.

Are those commands included in the upstream Grub 2 tarball? In this case you
should file a bug to get them included in the Fedora package I think. If not,
you have a perfect example why people should improve software by working
upstream.

btw, I just installed F16 on an EFI machine and got Grub Legacy. Are there any
major problems with Grub 2's EFI support?