floppy support (was: [HEADS UP] remove ddate(1) command from rawhide)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Aug 30 01:33:04 UTC 2011

Karel Zak wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 09:37:37AM -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>> The kernel maintainers don't
>> support the floppy module and the module hasn't been auto-loaded for
>> several releases.
>
>  Does it mean that "modprobe floppy" does not work?

No, it means that (unless this was recently fixed) you have to modprobe it
manually (e.g. from rc.local) because nothing bothers trying to modprobe it
for you anymore. IMHO, this is really broken, but the bug reports about it
were ignored or declared NOTABUG.

Similarily, analog joystick support (yes, those joysticks you plug on the
MIDI ports of those old sound cards) also has to be modprobed manually.

And yes, I have all that stuff plugged on this machine. I barely ever use
it, but that doesn't mean I don't want it to work…

        Kevin Kofler